If you’re going to be doing any design work in Solidworks, it’s important to get a computer with a powerful CPU. If the CPU is too weak, then after some time of designing things will start to lag. Choosing a laptop is difficult because there are many factors involved like Windows vs macOS, but for the best performance in Solidworks, you’ll want an Intel Core i7.
Solidworks is the leading engineering solution for 3D mechanical design, simulation, prototyping, and documentation. Powered by CoCreate’s high-performance computing engine, our software combines CAD function with other 2D and 3D technologies to streamline the entire product development process—saving time and cost.
So if you are searching laptop for Solidworks then look no further. We have listed the 10 best laptops for Solidworks on the market here so you can find the perfect laptop for your needs and budget below.
10 Best Laptop for Solidworks:
- ASUS VivoBook K571 Laptop
- Lenovo ThinkPad P52s Ultrabook Laptop
- ASUS VivoBook F512 Laptop
- Lenovo Thinkpad P17 Workstation Laptop
- LG gram Thin and Light Laptop
- Microsoft Surface Laptop 3
- Lenovo 17.3″ ThinkPad P71
- Asus ROG Strix Laptop
- MSI GS75 Stealth Laptop
- Razer Blade 15 Laptop
RAM: 16GB DDR4
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
DISK SPACE: 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
The ASUS VivoBook K571 is a great laptop for Solidworks. It works with Windows 10 and it’s capable of running 3D modeling programs like Solidworks. The graphics card has 4 Gigabyte (GB) memory type GDDR5 which provides superior visual quality with realistic lighting effects and dazzling colors on the 15.6-inch, Full HD screen.
To give you more power, this laptop packs an Intel Core i7-9750H processor with a speed of 2.6GHz and instantly delivers twice the performance when compared to CPUs of similar or lower end processors such as i5. The powerful 6 cores can handle anything from large spreadsheets to complex 3D models so it will be a great work computer for Solidworks.
Its 256GB SSD provides enhanced performance over conventional hard drive storage. It boots up in seconds and provides faster application launches, quick file searches, and better gaming experiences. On the other hand, a 1TB Hard Drive gives you plenty of space to store your photo, music, video, documents, and more. It also offers a massive storage capacity for your files and programs.
With 16GB DDR4 RAM, this laptop offers outstanding multitasking and lets you run a number of applications simultaneously without any lag. It’s more than enough memory to perform your routine tasks, like web browsing, checking emails, editing documents, and so on. If you’re running out of ram for Solidworks projects then we would recommend going with the laptop that has at least 32 GB of memory.
RAM: 16GB DDR4
CPU: Intel Core i7-8550U
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P500
DISK SPACE: 512GB SSD
The Lenovo ThinkPad P52s is a powerful laptop for Solidworks made with business users in mind. Its 15.6-inch, Full HD display makes it easy to read CAD models and provides better color accuracy than many competing laptops on the market today.
With this laptop, you’ll get an 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8550U processor and 16GB of DDR4 RAM. You can also upgrade the memory to 32GB for ultimate performance. The 16GB of RAM is more than enough for most tasks including running Solidworks, but I would recommend getting at least a laptop with 32 GB of ram if you’re going to be using it regularly for Solidworks.
With its 512GB SSD, you’ll get blazing fast performance from your laptop. It boots up in seconds and wakes from sleep mode almost instantly. The solid state drive also makes it very reliable as they have no moving parts to break down like standard hard drives.
This laptop is really good for Solidworks, but it can’t be perfect for everything. If you want a portable design computer that handles CAD well then this is the best on the market today for Solidworks!
RAM: 8GB DDR4
CPU: AMD R5-3500U
GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8
DISK SPACE: 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD
The ASUS VivoBook F512 is a powerful laptop that’s great for Solidworks. It has an AMD A9-9420 2 GHz processor and comes with 8GB of DDR4 RAM to ensure smooth multitasking for working on complex models. You can upgrade the memory up to 32 GB if you need more power from your computer.
It has a 1TB hard drive which provides extra space for all your files, including large CAD projects and other work documents in addition to its 128GB SSD so you’ll be able to run multiple applications without slowing down or lag issues when developing 3D models using Solidworks Premium Suite 2017.
This laptop comes with Windows 10 pre-installed, so there will be no compatibility issues running any programs like Solidworks. It also comes with a fingerprint reader and webcam for enhanced security.
It’s a good laptop, but it has some drawbacks that are hard to ignore including the low amount of RAM memory. If you’re going to be running Solidworks or other programs that use more than 8GB then I would recommend upgrading the memory to at least 16GB.
For a laptop on a budget, it’s certainly is the best option for Solidworks 2017 and beyond. It’s definitely worth considering if you want to get your hands on an affordable yet powerful computer running Solidworks.
RAM: 32GB DDR4
CPU: Intel Core i7-10750H
GPU: Quadro T2000 Graphics
DISK SPACE: 1TB SSD
The Lenovo Thinkpad P17 is a powerful laptop made with Solidworks in mind. It features an Intel Core i7-10750H Quad-Core 2.5 GHz processor, 32GB DDR4 RAM, and integrated Quadro T2000 Graphics so you’ll be able to run multiple applications at once without slowing down the computer.
This laptop comes with a 1TB SSD so you’ll have plenty of space for CAD projects and other programs. The 1TB solid state drive provides fast performance. It boots up in seconds and wakes from sleep mode almost instantly.
It features a 17.3-inch full high definition display that has great color accuracy. The screen also rotates so you can use it in presentations or flip it over for drawing and drafting which is perfect for Solidworks. It’s powerful, portable, and flexible in terms of what you want to do with your computer.
This laptop also has a USB Type-C port that allows you to connect an external display or use the laptop as a desktop. It comes with a camera and fingerprint reader for logging in securely. The webcam also features face tracking technology so you can automatically tilt, pan, and zoom the camera based on what the face of your computer detects.
The Lenovo Thinkpad P17 is a solid computer that provides plenty of power for Solidworks. It has some nice features and it’s very reasonably priced, but I think the RAM could be better. If you’re going to be running other programs like AutoCAD or Photoshop then this laptop might not have enough memory.
CPU: Intel Core i7 8565u
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 610
DISK SPACE: 512GB SSD
The LG gram is the lightest laptop on the market and it’s the perfect computer for Solidworks design. I love this laptop because it’s extremely lightweight, but still very powerful with a lightning fast SSD. It boots up in seconds and wakes from sleep mode almost instantly. This is important for running multiple applications at once without slowing down your computer.
The LG gram has a Full HD IPS display with wide viewing angles and also comes in a 4k touchscreen option which is great for Solidworks users who want to edit their 3D models using the native interface. The 17inch version of this laptop weighs about 2 lbs, so it’s really light and perfect for taking anywhere you need to go.
This laptop also has a Thunderbolt 3 port which is extremely powerful. It allows you to connect high speed displays, external hard drives and other devices like VR headsets or monitors. This means you can use your laptop as a desktop with multiple displays if that’s what you need for Solidworks modeling workflows.
We think the LG gram is one of the best laptops for Solidworks if you don’t need a desktop computer. It’s very lightweight, portable and powerful with an SSD that boots up in seconds. This is great if you want to use your laptop as a desktop on multiple monitors while running CAD programs.
CPU: Intel Core i7
GPU: Intel Iris Plus
DISK SPACE: 256GB SSD
The Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 is an excellent laptop for Solidworks because it’s lightweight, powerful and has a great display. It weighs just over 2 lbs and features a 13.5 inch touchscreen with an Intel Core i7-8650U processor and 16GB RAM.
This computer also comes with 256 GB of SSD storage so you’ll have plenty of speed for running Solidworks. It also has a USB Type-C port that’s perfect for connecting an external monitor or docking station to your laptop and using it as a desktop.
It also comes with Windows 10 Pro which is our favorite OS for Solidworks modeling because it provides the best experience when performing these tasks. This computer doesn’t have the best battery life, but it’s good enough for most of your work day if you’re not using it for gaming or video editing.
If you’re looking for a great touchscreen laptop that’s small and powerful, then the Surface Laptop is an excellent option for Solidworks users.
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1505M V6
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro P3000
DISK SPACE: 512GB SSD
The ThinkPad P71 is a 17.3 inch laptop that’s great for running Solidworks and AutoCAD at the same time. This computer has plenty of power for running multiple programs at once, so it can handle your Solidworks workflow with ease.
It also features an Nvidia Quadro P3000 graphics card which is perfect for editing large CAD assemblies on your PC. I also love that it has a wide viewing angle display and the ability to tilt and rotate up to 180 degrees.
If you need a bigger and more powerful laptop then the ThinkPad P71 is an excellent choice for Solidworks users because it’s got plenty of RAM, storage and processing power for running multiple programs at once.
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 4GB
DISK SPACE: 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
The Asus ROG Strix is an excellent computer for Solidworks users because it has plenty of processing power, a fast SSD drive and a wide viewing angle display.
This 17 inch laptop weighs just over 5 lbs but it’s very powerful with an Intel Core i7-8750H processor, 16GB RAM and 256GB of storage as well as an Nvidia GTX 1050 4GB graphics card that’s perfect for running Solidworks.
It also features a fast SSD drive so you’ll be able to boot up quickly and run all of your programs at once without lag. It also has 1TB HDD storage for storing all of your files.
The ROG Strix is a bit on the expensive side, but it’s worth every penny because it gives you everything you need to run Solidworks and more without lag or issues.
This computer is also great for gaming, playing videos, or editing photos which makes it a good fit for anyone that needs a laptop that can do more than just CAD.
CPU: Intel Core i7-10875H
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
DISK SPACE: 512GB SSD
The MSI GS75 Stealth has an amazing display and plenty of RAM, storage and processing power for running Solidworks. It also features a fast SSD drive so you’ll be able to run all of your programs at once and still have room for your CAD files.
This 17 inch laptop also comes with an Nvidia RTX 2060 graphics card which is perfect for Solidworks users because it can handle most models without lag or problems.
The GS75 Stealth also has a matte display that’s great for blocking out reflections and glare, which is perfect for those that work long hours or want to watch a movie in the dark.
If you’re looking for an affordable laptop with 17 inches of screen real estate then the GS75 Stealth is one of the most affordable laptops on our list. It’s not as powerful as some of its competitors, but it should still be able to handle most Solidworks tasks without lag or issues.
The MSI GS75 Stealth has a Thunderbolt 3 port which gives you access to the fastest external storage available as well as 100 watt USB C charging. The camera is also great, and it’s got a lightning fast SSD drive for running Solidworks models without lag.
RAM: 16GB DDR4
CPU: Intel 8-Core 10th Gen i7-10875H
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX2080 SUPER MQ
DISK SPACE: 1TB SSD
The Razer Blade is the best 17 inch laptop that has 16GB of RAM and storage as well as a fast SSD drive for running all of your programs at once. This laptop is also very powerful with an Intel Core i7-10876H 8-core processor, Nvidia RTX 2080 graphics card and 16GB of RAM, so it can handle most Solidworks tasks smoothly as well many other programs at once.
If you’re looking for the best Solidworks laptop then the Razer Blade is one of your best options. It would be a good fit for you if you need a laptop that will last longer than most because it’s made with premium materials and can handle more than just CAD programs.
What to look for before Buying Best Laptop for Solidworks:
1. CPU: The most important component of your Solidworks-compatible laptop is the processor. The higher its speed, the better it will be for your workflow. Therefore, you need a dedicated CPU with at least 4 cores that can handle multi-tasking. A recommended configuration would be an Intel Core i7 if you are on a tight budget. Nevertheless, it is recommended that you at least get an i5 if you want the laptop to be compatible with high-end software.
2. RAM: Solidworks can be a resource hog. If you are working with large models, the memory can get quickly maxed out if there is not enough space. Therefore, it is recommended that you have at least 16GB of RAM so that the CPU does not overload while you are working on your projects. 4GB should be sufficient for smaller projects and/or entry-level users.
3. GPU: GPU performance is a very important factor to consider while purchasing your laptop. You need it for optimized graphics, but more importantly, you need it to work with simulations. If you are into design and manufacturing, then simulations can be crucial for testing different factors of the design early on in the process. Therefore, make sure that your GPU delivers at least 4GB of VRAM, and if possible more.
4. Screen Size: The ideal screen size for Solidworks users is 17-inch. A bigger screen allows you to have a more immersive experience while working on your projects. Therefore, it will be easier to work with models since zooming out will not be necessary as often as if you are using a laptop monitor that has fewer diagonal measurements.
At the same time, 15-inch laptops are also suitable for Solidworks. Since smaller screens allow you to have a big resolution (or rather a high pixel density), they will be much better if you are doing 2D design work such as drafting or engineering.
Finally, 14-inch laptops will be your best choice of all if you plan to use your laptop mostly for CAD software. Since they have the smallest form-factor, they are easy to carry around, and therefore will be perfect for you if your workflow requires a lot of mobility (such as engineers who need access to their data wherever they go).
5. Storage: When it comes to storage, Solidworks performance will depend on the speed of the hard drive and not so much on capacity. Therefore a 256GB or 512 SSD is recommended if you want to have a fast laptop that can handle this software smoothly. Furthermore, having a secondary hard drive for all your other data is also good so that Solidworks does not have to access it that often.
6. Resolution: Screen resolution is another important factor when considering the purchase of a Solidworks-compatible laptop. You want to have as many pixels on your display as possible because that is how you will see your models and drawings in order to work with them. The more pixels, the better the quality will be. If it is not possible to get anything above 1080p resolution, then we would recommend going for the next highest resolution available.
That being said, it is not very likely that you will encounter such a laptop nowadays since there are many good 17-inch laptops with high resolutions available on the market nowadays. Therefore, if you have to get a lower resolution than 1080p anyway, then go for one that has a diagonal measurement of at least 17 or 15 inches. This way you will get more pixels per inch, which is what matters when it comes to screen resolution.
7. OS: Choosing the right operating system is probably one of the most important things when it comes to Solidworks performance. That is because this software is much more demanding than other CAD programs, and therefore it will be much easier for you if your laptop runs Windows 10 Pro instead of some other OS.
The reason why we specifically recommend getting Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home is that it allows you to install and use Solidworks with no issues. However, we would not be surprised if someday in the future this software will also work on Windows 10 Home since it has much better hardware support than previous versions of Windows.
8. No heavy games, no bulky software, no webcam, no speakers (recommend external headphones): Since Solidworks is professional software that requires a professional computer, you do not want to install any games on your laptop. That will only slow it down and lower its performance. Therefore, we would recommend installing nothing else apart from the operating system and the necessary drivers for optimum performance with this software. No webcam either since Solidworks does not need it. And most importantly, no speakers or other audio devices since Solidworks does not work well with them anyway (due to the fact that they usually have a small frequency response range). This will also lower your laptop’s performance, but if you want to listen to music while working then we would recommend getting some external headphones instead.
9. Weight: The heavier your laptop, the harder it will be for you to take it with you. Therefore, we would recommend getting a lighter laptop if possible since it will make your work much easier. When compared to other CAD programs that require less power from your CPU and GPU, Solidworks is not as demanding so this aspect won’t matter all that much when it comes to Solidworks. However, if you are constantly on the move and do not have a lot of time in your office, then having a lighter computer is definitely an advantage because you will not be slowing down your work while carrying it back from one place to another.
10. Keyboard: When it comes to choosing the right laptop for Solidworks, the condition of your keyboard is very important. That is because you will need to type A LOT if you want to work with this software. Therefore, it is best that your keyboard has a low travel time and high repeat rate in order from typing quickly without having to constantly re-adjust your fingers.
Also, the bigger and easier to press keys are the better. There are many good keyboards out there already that fit this description, but if you are looking for a solid laptop for Solidworks then you should probably choose one that comes with a mechanical keyboard.
This way you will be able to type faster without having to press down on each key as hard. The smaller and lighter the keys are, the higher your chances of hitting the wrong one because you hit them at a funny angle. We are not telling you to go out there and buy yourself an $80 mechanical keyboard; just make sure that your laptop has a full-sized keyboard if possible.
And even if your laptop comes with a good keyboard, you could always plug in some external mechanical or standard keyboards to use instead. This way you will increase the performance of your typing and again, overall computer performance.
11. Battery Life: The last thing you want to make sure of when buying a laptop for Solidworks is that it will have enough battery life. Without a battery, you won’t be able to take your laptop with you from one location to another, so we are not going to be a part of that. That being said, we recommend getting a laptop with at least an 8-hour battery life on minimum settings.
However, if you plan to use it as your main computer for rendering and other tasks such as testing designs in the field then having good battery life is vital. We would recommend at least 4 hours without a power supply plugged in for those tasks.
How Do I Stop My Solidworks From Crashing?
Unfortunately, your computer can crash for many different reasons. That is why today we are telling you about the main reasons that cause Solidworks to close unexpectedly and how you can fix them easily if they happen to you.
1. Low Memory: If Solidworks keeps on crashing or shutting down after working for a few hours then the most likely culprit would be a lack of memory. That is because this software requires at least 2GB of RAM, plus it will eat up more when you try to load files or do other types of work with it. If your computer has less than 6GB total RAM then Solidworks will crash if you try to load up a complex design.
However, you can still work on some types of designs even with 2GB of RAM if your computer is powerful enough. The best way to fix this problem is by adding more RAM or upgrading to at least 4GB in order to be able to run Solidworks smoothly.
2. Firewall: Sometimes your firewall can mess up your computer while trying to start the Solidworks application. However, this issue can be resolved easily by adding an exception for Solidworks or temporarily disabling the firewall software altogether.
3. 3D Model: If you are having problems opening a particular 3D model even when it is not too complex, then there could be something wrong with that specific file. The best way to fix this problem is by opening the model on another computer and saving it there. Once you save it, close Solidworks and reopen the design.
4. Upgrade Your Computer: If all else fails, then we suggest that you upgrade your computer by purchasing new hardware or adding a better graphics card to your current one.
You could also replace the memory, however; Solidworks does not work well on computers that have less than 6GB of RAM installed. So if you only have 2GB then adding more would not solve the problem as they will get eaten up by other programs like your browser.
We hope that this review will help you with your next Solidworks computer purchase. There is no secret to getting a laptop that performs well except to buy one at the right price with reliable hardware, good cooling and a high-quality screen that doesn’t run out of battery too fast.
That being said, there are always many different laptops on the market, so be sure to do your research before buying one.